Twenty different weight-loss supplements have been found to contain a banned ingredient, and the Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers against using them, according to recent news sources.
The drug included in the products is sibutramine, which has been found to increase blood pressure and heart rate, and has also been proven to increase the consumer’s risk of heart attack and stroke. The drug was taken off the United States market in late 2010. Sibutramine is not listed as an ingredient in the following products, though the FDA ran tests that found it was present:
- Acai Berry Soft Gel ABC
- Advanced Slim 5
- A-Slim 100% Natural Slimming Capsule
- Botanical Slimming
- DaiDaiHuaJiaoNang (also contains phenolphthalein, a solution used in chemical experiments and a suspected cancer-causing agent not approved in the U.S.)
- Dream Body Slimming Capsule
- Fruit Plant Lossing Fat Capsule
- Health Slimming Coffee
- Ja Dera 100% Natural Weight Loss Supplement
- Leisure 18 Slimming Coffee
- Lose Weight Coffee
- Magic Slim Tea
- Magic Slim Weight Reduction Capsule
- P57 Hoodia
- Pai You Guo Slim Tea )also contains phenolphthalein, a solution used in chemical experiments and a suspected cancer-causing agent not approved in the U.S.)
- PhentraBurn Slimming Capsules
- Sheng Yuan Fang
- Slender Slim 11
Many of the products claim to be 100% natural. The FDA is warning consumers not to use these products.
As a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer, I know that weight-loss supplements have proven to be dangerous in many cases and I also warn against them. In my experience as a product liability lawyer, I’ve seen the detrimental effects products can have on consumers when all the ingredients are not disclosed. If you or someone you love has been injured by a drug, it’s in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.