While most people associate hospitals with getting healthier, it is sometimes the case that patients who go to a hospital for treatment actually end up getting sicker there than they were to begin with. Consumer advocacy groups are continually trying to make hospitals safer places for patients. According to member of the Safe Patient Project, following these suggestions can help you stay safe in hospitals.
- Watch a video of the surgery you’re planning on getting. Advocate research suggests that patients misunderstand the severity of procedure that they are undergoing, and thus approach it as well as the recovery lightly. The reality may surprise you, and prepare you for what you are going to endure.
- Check the internet for user reviews of the hospital you are hoing to use. Sites like Yelp! could notify you of some of the problems other patients had.
- As a malpractice attorney for Doctor recommendations. They’ve seen a lot, and can often tell you which ones have good reputations and which ones you may want to avoid for certain procedures.
- Bring a device with internet access to the hospital. You never know what you may want to look up on the fly.
- The most important thing you can do is to bring someone with you whom you can trust. They can act in your place should an emergency arise, and can be your eyes and ears if you are in a position where you cannot observe what is happening.
As a Los Angeles wrongful death lawyer, I know how important it is to document medical problems you may have had during a hospital stay. If you or someone you know was injured in a hospital, it’s in your best interest to contact a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer as soon as possible in order to evaluate your legal options.